On the FAQ page, fishboi couldn’t find the settings file.
I don’t even know how many people came before him but I suppose a point is a point so here you go:
You now get to change the font and window size without first starting or resuming a game. Or opening the testing arena. No binaries yet, but those who can are free to grab the source and compile it themselves.
Here’s some of the things I’ve done in the past three days because suddenly I’m being hella active on this project again. I live-tweeted most of these.
Converting more Noxico-specific stuff to Lua
Specifically the part where characters can get excited from seeing others. This should help make the engine more suitable for easy reworking into something else. For example, a “safe for work” mod.
Replacing Chelsie with Jadah
Chelsie is a character from the greater Firrhna Project scope. The original version came from Noxico and predated the Project. They are distinct characters, in a sense. So after a quick poll on Twitter and some workshopping I replaced her with a new project mascot, Jadah.
Reworking the MergeBitmap function to use tilesets in TML format
This, I think, improves readability of both the actual code and the tileset data.
Fixed the Carpenter NPC
There were so many crufty errors left in there. I wonder how many people ran into that problem.
Fixed the quick-fire function
That’s where when you have a long-range weapon equipped, you can press shift-arrow to fire in a cardinal direction. Since I added shift key support to the keymapper (as in you can specify that an action requires shift or not), this wouldn’t trigger any more. Solution: make shooting in cardinal directions their own actions distinct from walking.
All of this is of course available on my Github. Outside contributions are welcomed.
I was pretty pleased at myself when I came up with the basic character stats in Noxico, because there’s this symmetry to them. Four stats with C names, four with S.
However, I felt something was off. They seemed unclear, and one of them was entirely unused. So recently I went over the set, renamed most of them, and redefined the unused one. Here’s what I came up with, and as an added bonus what each of them actually means:
Generally good looks, physical or otherwise. May be used to roll for influencing others.
How long you can go before you nut, which happens at 100. Increased through actions.
How smart you are. May be used to roll for identifying things and influencing others.
How kinky you are. Gates various actions.
How excited you are. Gates initiating sex. Too much excitement passively increases Climax.
Passively increases Excitement over time. Certain actions may use this as a multiplier.
Determines how long a personal turn takes. May be used to roll for who acts first.
Determines unarmed attack power, carrying capacity, and max health. May be used to roll for grapples and escapes.
None of these changes have actually been implemented yet, and all but maybe Body/Strength and Speed ought to be entirely scripted — as it is, there are still several areas of C# code that use the sex-specific stats, such as Climax and Excitement/Stimulation, and their respective bonus modifier tokens are all hardcoded also.
As good an excuse to do something about that as anything, really.
While working on randomized opponent callouts, I noticed that most of the font sheets were off, color-wise. And while fixing that, I noticed the option to enable 437 Simulation mode was not in the string list. That is, the checkbox said [opt_437] instead of a regular thing. In honor of that option finally being properly captioned, here’s the thing in action. There’s a lookup table that maps in-game tile numbers to Unicode and Codepage 437. One is used for HTML dumps, the other for this mode. I kinda want to make it render the player as a @ and use the initial of a character’s title…
Tumblr has officially shut the door on NSFW content a couple weeks back and the Noxico blog was one of the victims. I just finished reposting almost every post on there worth reposting, and a bunch that weren’t. The only thing missing is asks.
Well, let’s see what we get. I already posted a status update on my other blog last month so… that just leaves the drive to actually do something.
Here’s an idea I had earlier: Arbitrary board sizes.
The minimum would be like 80×25, the screen size, and connected boards would have to have matching edges. That is, a board that’s N tiles tall can only be connected on the east and west sides by boards that are also N tiles tall.
Surface boards could be 128×128, or 128×64 to adjust for tall tiles, which would make for nice “powers of two” work and fully covers the equal side lengths rule. Dungeons could be any size, considering those are currently only connected by stairways and such.