not quite dead
OpenPoké was an attempt to rewrite the Pokémon engine as seen in Poké Fire Red from scratch; a game engine recreation. It runs on the same system as the original — the GameBoy Advance.
It all started when MajinBluedragon (aka Keitaro) wanted to make a ROM hack of Pokémon Ruby that added, among other things, a day/night cycle like in Pokémon Gold/Silver on the GameBoy Color. This was at the time considered impossible by scripting alone, and would require extensive assembly-level hacks. Yours truly (Kawa) joked that it'd be simpler to just write a whole new engine from scratch. After many months — perhaps even years — of work, even after MBD dropped out of the project and then tried to take it back through a sock puppet, I felt the project was becoming irrelevant. The NDS games, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl had been released, with more coming. Also, the rest of the team, with the sole exception of Cearn, had left me with unfulfilled promises of content assistance…
The final nail, however little, came when they managed to insert a day/night cycle into the GBA games after all. I've never even seen that hack in action. I didn't care any more.
With the project dead and the demo game left with a freezing script bug, I've moved on to other projects. But recently, there was some interest in the project, so I reworked the game a bit to work on the latest version of devkitPro and to have a more elegant end to the demo.
The editor will be released when it's properly fixed. I must've lost the correct one over time and recovered an earlier copy…
loadpointer 0 "Hi"
Then there's the old version, from years back. That too is available as a precompiled ROM image, as is the old source code. Though it's been repacked for release on this page, the code itself is untouched and will not compile on newer versions of devkitPro without some makefile changes.
If you want to build from source, the new release will automatically detect this separate music data and link in the EngineM4 driver and data. The old one does not — see the FAQ for more.
Both releases also contain a set of untouched data tools, written in an old version of C#, that won't run out of the box.
SOUNDENGINE = enginem4and change that to
SOUNDENGINE = dummyand then doing a clean rebuild. For the new release, simply remove all EngineM4 files and rebuild; the makefile will figure it out.
This section will be properly added when the editor is up to snuff, including documentation, and maybe a nice command reference. For now, here's a preview:
سمَـَّوُوُحخ ̷̴̐خ ̷̴̐خ ̷̴̐خ امارتيخ ̷̴̐خ